Download resume: txt
Happily employed; not looking elsewhere. Will take freelance if it's wee. Can refer you to great people.
Over eleven years' experience in data-proven visual and user interface design, information architecture, accessibility, icon-making and front-end development for top-tier Web sites. Concentration on search, Web-based applications, and user-contributed content. Comfortable working within established design guidelines as well as starting with a clean slate. Perennial layoff survivor; good guy to have around.
Amazon.com | Seattle, WA 2006 - present | Principal UI Designer
Lycos, Inc. | San Francisco, CA 1997 - 2005 | Senior UI Designer
- Amazon Search Pages
- Myriad other projects
- Created Wired News rearchitecture/redesign (the one before the current one). Streamlined existing design, improved readability and boosted cross-promotion of stories. (Launching mid-November.)
- Created schematics for the new Wired News content management system. Goals of cost savings, increased usability and elimination of superfluous functionality. Addition by subtraction.
- Responsible for information architecture, UI design and icons on the Tripod Blog Builder, which was chosen as PC World's Editor's Choice for blog tools and was a MITX (Massachusetts Innovation and Technology Exchange) Finalist. Nearly 1,000,000 blogs created, including my mom's.
- Created schematics, wireframe documents and mockups for the back and front-end interfaces of the Tripod Photo Album Builder. The Builder allows users to organize and publish their photos from one place and update their albums from camera-enabled cell phones. Over 500,000 albums created and growing at a rate of 10% per month.
- Using CSS, coded the latest version of Angelfire, which receives 16 million page views per month.
- Designed site-specific shopping cart components for subscription services to be consistent within the transaction system for sites within Lycos, including: Tripod, Lycos Domains, Angelfire and HTMLGear. Effectively added a second revenue stream.
- Co-creator of FutureMe.org, a site that allows you to send an email to yourself in the future. Quickly approaching 700,000 letters written to future-selves around the globe! Site chosen by ARS Electronica for their FutureLab, Sept 2004. Yahoo! Pick of the Day, Sept 2003. Collection of letters titled "Dear Future Me" published by F+W Publications, 2007.
- Freelance clients include: Ameritrade, Advance Nanotech, Kaiser-Permanente
- Maintain a portfolio at patrikios.org
- Writer of a blog at scatterboy.com since 2000
- Twittering at twitter.com/jaypatrikios
- Photos at flickr.com/photos/jaypatrikios/
- Pratt Institute 1992-96
Received BFA, graduated with honors
- CCSF 2005
Continuing education classes in economics
TOOLS & SKILLS
Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, BBEdit; HTML, CSS; Accessibility; Figuring out exactly what the problem is and fixing it; Strong writer and verbal communicator.
WHEN NOT AT THE COMPUTER I'M...
running, cycling, surfing, or eating a gigantic salad. really, the bigger the salad the better.
FUN EXTRA STATS & STUFF
Half-Marathon PR: 1:25
Professional and personal recommendations available upon request.